What Is Black Mold?
Protecting Your Chicago Household from Black Mold Threats
Though we have worked hard to provide our customers with the best information about the disasters and conditions that could impact their Chicago homes, we are continually battling bad information. In some of these areas, the unsanctioned information circling the internet and other popular media can put circumstances like mold development in the same vein as poisonings or other acute dangers to your health. Getting the facts can be a benefit to your household and have you contacting the right professionals to address the situation when the need arises.
Should You Identify Mold on Your Own?
While there might be some highly qualified fungal experts living in the Chicago area, many of which teach at prestigious colleges and high schools throughout the city, even they might tell you that identifying the type of residential mold in your house is not necessary. Any mold growth can present risks such as:
• Elevated concentration of mold spores
• Deterioration of hosting materials
• Potential health effects for those directly exposed to the colonies
How You Should Handle Black Mold Once Discovered
Though believed to be more toxic and volatile than any other residential form of mold, the type and variety commonly known as black mold (Stachybotrys chartarum) is not any more destructive or harmful than most of the other organisms that could develop in your home. Our SERVPRO technicians can help no matter what variety of mold exists in your house.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Downtown Chicago / West Loop / Bucktown / Greektown immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (773) 434-9100
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Downtown Chicago / West Loop / Bucktown / Greektown is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- West Loop
- Downtown Chicago
- Wicker Park
- University Village - Little Italy
- Ukranian Village